Thursday, March 19, 2015

Excerpt from Ruination




I hopped around on one leg, falling onto my bed.  These pants weren't this tight last time.  Loralie came in with a wire hanger in hand. 
 “Lie back.”  She said.  Laughing as she straddled my chest, her ass practically smothering me.  She hooked the end of the hanger into the metal zipper and pulled.  I heard the zipper closing, thank God.  “Got it!”  She shouted in triumph.  “Can you breathe?”
“Not with you on top of me.”  I groaned.  She wiggled her ass in my face a few more times before jumping off and running out my bedroom door.  I heard her feet stomp through the hall a short distance before heading into her own room.  One of these days, one of us will fall through the crappy flooring. 
We met in the kitchen, both dressed and ready.  “Give me the rules again,” Loralie demanded.  I grumbled, resulting in a stinging slap on the ass.  “Harper!  Just do it.”
“Fine!”  I acquiesced.  “I won’t talk to, look at, or otherwise engage with anyone with any musical talent.  I will not find myself alone with any band members.  If I do find myself attracted to anyone in the musical realm, I will NOT employ them emotionally or otherwise.”
“Good girl.  Are you ready?”
“I hope so,” I mumbled under my breath.


It took us 30 minutes to find a parking place downtown.  Then we had to walk six blocks to get to the venue.  The concert had 3 bands playing tonight.  I only wanted to see the headliner, so we ducked into a bar around the corner to waste a little time before going into the chaos. 
An hour later, Loralie’d worked up a good buzz.  We made our way across the street to the old warehouse.  The building had been refurbished.  If I remembered right, they used to manufacture tires. 
From the looks of it, the front room had previously been an office.  It smelled like new rubber and the only sound came from our heels clacking across the concrete floor.  The old owners, no doubt, had sound-proofed walls to keep the warehouse noise to a minimum.  Now, it kept the music contained.
We handed our tickets to a pimple-faced kid.  His mouth stayed slightly ajar the entire time he ripped our tickets in half.  Loralie leaned in toward him; placing her finger under his chin and helping him close his gaping hole. 
The music met my ears the moment I opened the door.  Loralie and I pushed past groups of people in the aisles to get to our seats in the front. 
A pretty girl wearing bright colored clothing caught my eye amongst all the writhing men in their dark colors.  We girls were few and far between tonight.  The auditorium wasn’t necessarily a bad place for a concert but whoever was running the thing stacked the place almost full of seating.  The mosh pit bled over and pushed into the front row of chairs. 
The bright eyed beauty stood two rows ahead of Loralie and me, in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Some asshole launched himself from the first row into the other chairs, using the girl to break his fall.  She twisted away with the impact, the damage done.  His flailing elbow caught her in the face and she fell back into the row of seats that earlier in the evening seemed like prime real estate for the show.
The blood didn’t affect me but when she pulled her hand away and a stream of the stuff shot out of her nose she panicked.  A scream shot from her mouth that rivaled that of the death growl coming from the stage.  I hopped over the row in front of me, a feat considering my four inch spike boot heels.  Fat tears coated her cheeks, making them shiny in the dancing lights coming from the stage.
“Come with me, sweety.  Can you do that?”  She hesitated, glancing around for whoever she’d come with.  Her pain was palpable but she nodded when she realized that no one else cared to help.  I pulled her over the back of her chair, away from the edge of the pit.  I got us to the girls’ bathroom using my sharp elbows as weapons against any other asshole that had to prove their metalness by taking out innocent bystanders.
It took longer than I thought to get the girls nose to stop bleeding, probably a result of her blood pressure.  I got her cleaned up as well as I could, the blood staining the bright yellow cardigan.
“Are you here with someone?”  I asked.
“My boyfriend.”  She sucked in a gasp of air, trying to halt the sobbing.
“Do you want me to get security to find him for you?”
“No.”  She hiccupped.  “I’m going to call my mom for a ride home.”  I felt relief.  The last thing I wanted to do was babysit tonight. 
“It’s not my business, honey, but you should find a boyfriend that gives a shit about your well being.  That was pretty stupid of him to leave you that close to the pit.  You’re lucky that prick didn’t send you into the crowd.”
Her smile was forced, “Don’t worry.  I’m pretty sure he won’t want anything to do with me once I send him the bill for this broken nose.”
“Good for you, sweety.”  I nodded toward the door, letting her know I’d done everything I could.   
Loralie came crashing through the bathroom door, pushing the defeated girl out of the way to get in.  The double bass drum pedals reverberated through the open door, keeping the hearing to a minimum until it shut again.  My best friend laughed at me, a blood covered paper towel still in my hand.  She directed her attention to the mirror behind me and reached into her shirt, pulling her tits back into place after all the jiggling she’d been doing.  She called it dancing but I liked to negate that.  You don’t dance at a heavy metal concert, you mosh.  Maybe get lost in the music at the most, not that bullshit she liked to do.
I stared at the space between the “Ramones” on the t-shirt where she’d slashed it down the middle, exposing as much cleavage as possible without being arrested and thrown in jail for exposure.  I lost myself in thought.  I’d kept her away from this for too long.  This was her element and I hadn’t been the only one using this outlet to get rid of my shitty past.  She needed this.  It made her feel like she had control.  I considered the time that she’d let us back off from the metal scene a gift and tonight I was repaying the favor.
“Hey.  My eyes are up here.”  She flashed a cocky smile at me.  The last few months had been hard on her.  I’d been taking the time to adjust my priorities, letting go of a hell of a lot of sour feelings that had driven me for far too long.  Loralie had been spending the time struggling with demons from her past, some of which I had brought on, and this was her opportunity to get back into our fucked up little game.
“Ready?”  I asked, giving her a wink.
“So ready.”
I gave myself a last look in the mirror before walking out behind her.  The same eyes stared back at me but I wasn’t the same girl.  I left Harper at home, donning the blonde wig that proved that Joey had taken her place again.  While Harper remained small and weak, Joey stood tall and confident, able to take on the world, or rock stars rather.  That is, if I hadn’t made a pact with myself and my alter ego to let those habits lie in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment